Peterborough Police remind citizens to slow down and drive the conditions. Please remember the following tips...
1. Be aware and be cautious. Weather conditions can deteriorate quickly or change as you travel.
2. Slow down and wear your seat belt. Posted speed limits reflect ideal conditions, but don't reflect wet or snowy conditions. Adjust your speed accordingly.
3. Keep a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. On slippery road surfaces, double the two-second rule.
4. Avoid sudden turns of the steering wheel, and sudden braking and accelerating that could cause a skid.
5. Avoid situations where you may have to break suddenly on a slippery surface.
6. See and be seen. Always clear ice and snow from all vehicle windows to maximize visibility, and turn on your vehicle's full lighting system when blowing snow and white-outs impair your visibility.
7. Make sure you know how to use your braking system in all weather and road conditions.
8. Allow more time to get to your destination. Extra time is required to negotiate snow-covered roads.
9. Your vehicle's tire treads should be in good condition and you should always have plenty of windshield washer fluid to assist with visibility.
10. Pack an emergency kit and keep it in your vehicle at all times.
11. Snow and ice are more slippery at 0°c than at -20°c or below.
12. Watch for black ice at temperatures between +4°c and -4°c where the road surface ahead looks black and shiny. It is often found on shaded areas of the road, bridges and overpasses long after the sun has come out.