Canadian Blood Services has put out a media release urging the public to consider donating. Please spread the word and share this release on your social media channels...
With the holiday falling mid-week this year, we’re seeing fewer appointments booked and a higher number of cancellations around Canada Day. This is particularly challenging because many regular donors are planning to take an extra-long weekend.
· Canadian Blood Services forecasts that they will need almost 30,000 appointments each week during the summer to meet demand. Right now, there are more than 7,500 appointments available across the country between now and July 5—including 122 in Ptbo ON.
· Canadian Blood Services is urging eligible community members to do something patriotic in honour of Canada Day, help save a fellow Canadian by giving blood. To book an appointment download the GiveBlood app, visit blood.ca or call 1 888 2 DONATE (1 888 236 6283) now. All blood donors are needed, in particular those with type O and A blood.
· If you already have an appointment to give blood this summer, thank you. A Canadian patient and their family are now counting on you, so please honour your appointment. Their life depends on you.
· It can take up to 50 donors to help save the life of someone in a car crash.
· Canadian Blood Services needs to fill 30,000 appointments every week to meet the demand of blood and blood products.
· In recent months, about 20 per cent of donors have missed their appointments,
· Platelets, part of blood that helps with clotting, are of particular concern around long weekends because they have a shelf-life of just five days before they expire.