When Horses Were Used For Snow Plows & Deliveries In Bygone Era In Peterborough

Back in the day, they used horses for snow plows and deliveries—right up until the late '60s/early '70s notes local archivist Elwood Jones from Trent Valley Archives. Thanks to Elwood for sending us these gems from their collection in Peterborough...

Horse drawn sleigh on Lock Street near Lansdowne. Note the former Lock Street entrance to Morrow Park, which is now the site of the Peterborough Memorial Centre. [Trent Valley Archives, Electric City Collection]

Horse drawn sleigh on Lock Street near Lansdowne. Note the former Lock Street entrance to Morrow Park, which is now the site of the Peterborough Memorial Centre. [Trent Valley Archives, Electric City Collection]

This looks more like a deer to us...

Horse and sleigh, apparently at the Montreal House [Trent Valley Archives, Electric City Collection]   

Horse and sleigh, apparently at the Montreal House [Trent Valley Archives, Electric City Collection]
 

Campbell’s Dairy, c. 1937, making deliveries in the winter snow. [Trent Valley Archives, Electric City Collection]

Campbell’s Dairy, c. 1937, making deliveries in the winter snow. [Trent Valley Archives, Electric City Collection]

1946 street plowing in Peterborough, street unknown [picture via Trent Valley Archives]

1946 street plowing in Peterborough, street unknown [picture via Trent Valley Archives]

Snow Sweeper on George Street between Brock and Murray Streets c. 1910 [Trent Valley Archives, Electric City Collection]   

Snow Sweeper on George Street between Brock and Murray Streets c. 1910 [Trent Valley Archives, Electric City Collection]
 

Stereopticon view of George Street looking north from Charlotte Street, c. 1880s (note that the Market Hall has not yet been built). The grand building on the right is the Bradburn Opera, which was opened in 1875. This is showing a team of horses pulling a sled up the street after a snow storm. [Trent Valley Archives, Electric City Collection]

Stereopticon view of George Street looking north from Charlotte Street, c. 1880s (note that the Market Hall has not yet been built). The grand building on the right is the Bradburn Opera, which was opened in 1875. This is showing a team of horses pulling a sled up the street after a snow storm. [Trent Valley Archives, Electric City Collection]

Engage with us on social media on TwitterInstagramFacebook and Snapchat (ptbo_canada). Write to us at tips@ptbocanada.com. Sign up for PTBOBuzz newsletter here. Watch our PTBOCanada Love video here.