Downtown Peterborough announced on Friday (August 4th) that it's launching a Downtown Ambassador Initiative to create a more comfortable and inviting atmosphere for visitors, workers, residents and businesses in the downtown.
This initiative is intended to enhance the feeling of safety and inclusion in the downtown.
DBIA Executive Director Terry Guiel making announcement (photo courtesy DBIA)
Below are some of the Ambassadors' primary functions:
1. To provide tourism and visitor information such as locating certain businesses, parking locations and downtown events
2. To handle aggressive and/or inappropriate behaviours
3. To provide security and safety assistance for businesses when it is appropriate
4. To respond to vandalism, littering and graffiti in downtown as well as irresponsible pet owners
5. To provide emergency, first aid and conflict resolution assistance
Photo Courtesy DBIA
A security firm located in the downtown, Kawartha Guard Service, will provide staffing and management for the Downtown Ambassador program.
This new pilot initiative will run from August to September this year and will be then be evaluated.