This is awesome. A teacher, Wendy Thompson, made these for her students. What a great idea. It's amazing teachers like this that empower students, and make learning and reading fun. Bookworms for life. Literacy rocks.
We don't normally run Police Media Releases, but this one really stuck out. See below...
"On Tuesday September 16, 2014 at approximately 10 p.m. an unknown male brandishing a knife and wearing a mask entered the Talwood Variety store located on Talwood Drive. Once inside the store the male approached an employee who was behind the counter and demanded money. The employee complied and handed over an amount of cash. The suspect then fled the store on foot and was last seen crossing Talwood Drive directly north of the variety store. The employee reported the incident to police and officers, along with a K9 officer, attended the area to search for the suspect. The suspect is described as male, approximately 16 years of age, 5’0” to 5’2”, thin build, 110lbs to 120lbs, wearing a mask, black jeans, burgundy/red hoodie with hood up, black cape, black gloves. Anyone with information is asked to call the Peterborough Lakefield Community Police Service at 705-876-1122 ext. 217 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS or www.stopcrimehere.ca"
[via Police Release]
The Loomex Group, best known for their operation of the Peterborough Airport and the new Seneca College Peterborough Campus, broke ground on their new 22,000 square foot building located at the Peterborough Airport. The building will be home to the majority of the 22 Loomex employees from their three divisions: Loomex Property Management, Loomex Training and Consulting, and Loomex Communications & Consulting. The new building will also have office space for rent to tenants who are interested in being located at the airport—making it an incubator for aviation businesses. The new building is slated to be open in early 2015.
You can take the person out of the Peterborough but you can't take the Peterborough out of the person. Here are signs you're from the Patch...
1. You were on an episode of Campus Quiz
2. When someone asks you where are you from, you yell "Peterborough!!!!!"
3. You wear plaid. Lots
4. You have at least one kid named George, Hunter or Charlotte, and King was under consideration until your partner from out of town nixed it
5. You totally rock out at any party more than anyone else, no matter where you are in the world
6. When you see a canoe, you get extremely excited
7. When you tell someone you're from Peterborough, they say "Home of the Peterborough Petes?"
8. You expect every zoo to have free admittance
9. You have a bunch of baseball caps in your closet, and they're all backwards because that's how you wear 'em
10. You like ketchup chips. Or dill pickle
11. When you see an indie band on tour, you assume they're from Peterborough
12. You have a Lakers or Petes jersey in your closet
13. You or someone you know has a George Elliott print hanging in the house
14. You expect all music festivals around the world to be free and amazing all at once
15. You own a "I'd Rather be in Peterborough" shirt
16. You are on a first name basis with your local weatherman—"Yo Judson!"
17. You know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who is friends with Sebastian Bach
18. Someone in your family works at GE, Quaker or PRHC. And someone once worked for Outboard Marine
19. When you drive by Oshawa, you put the pedal to the medal and you stare straight ahead and just give'r
20. You cry whenever you have to leave Peterborough after a visit home
21. You didn't mind one bit staying home for college at Fleming or university at Trent
22. You know who Jimmy Lightshow is
23. You miss an epic bar called the Trasheteria
24. You love poutine
25. When you see a field, you think Field Party
26. You know what a peanut race is and have won many of them
27. You are a pool shark because you trained at Pappas Billiards against the best during your high school spares
28. One of your first kisses was somewhere along River Road or Armour Hill
29. You've been interviewed by Stu Harrison
30. Your favorite tobogganing hill is at a Court House
31. You grew up with a lacrosse or hockey stick in your hand. Or one in each hand
32. You learned to skate on a canal
33. You sometimes have cravings for the french fries and burgers at Sneaky Pete's
34. You learned to dance at Copperfields or Clover's/The Rooster, and your ID was always legit because you knew the bouncers
35. When "Home for a Rest" comes on, you think of Peterborough
36. You have the cutest pets in the world
37. You have Quaker aromas on your old clothes
38. You hit your first double at East City Bowl
39. You've been to a wedding where the first song was "Mony Mony"
40. You have the best fishing stories
41. You learned to roller skate at Wheelies
42. You say sorry more than the average Canadian says sorry
43. You know someone that drove a Monte Carlo or Taurus, and you did donuts in at least one of them. And you have a truck
44. You know Gary or Pete Dalliday really well
45. When you see someone portaging a canoe in the downtown, it's no big deal
46. When a Led Zeppelin or AC/DC song comes on The Wolf, you rock out more than the typical person
47. No matter where you are in the world, it doesn't quite feel like home: Peterborough
48. You still claim the Royal Burger has the greatest burger ever
49. You've had a Mrs. Murney sucker
50. A mullet was your badge of honor in the 80s and into the 90s. You welcome the flow style though. Well somewhat
51. Your first hole-in-one ever was at Milltown
52. You know a Shaughnessy or a Young
53. You've danced on the bar at Spanky's or The Only
54. You know Koski
55. Your best friend's sister's uncle knows Dan O'Toole
56. You have slid down Parkhill or Weller in the winter in your car at least once, and it wasn't fun. Scarier than the coaster you rode at Wild Water & Wheels
57. You know everyone through one degree of separation