The City of Peterborough is working towards implementing the Bikeway Network that was approved in the 2012 Comprehensive Transportation Plan. Projects currently in public consultation include:
- Extending the existing cycling lanes on McDonnel Street from Park Street to Water Street;
- Upgrading the existing cycling lanes on George Street and Water Street between McDonnel Street and Hilliard Street; and
- Extending the cycling lanes on George and Water Streets south from McDonnel Street to Hunter Street (with minimal impact on parking).
Various options have been assessed leading to the presentation of a design concept for each project that will provide a good level of service and safer riding environment for people on bicycles, while at the same time, considering traffic volumes, parking demand and adjacent land uses. In particular, the localized parking needs of businesses have been considered in the development of each design concept.
A public consultation process is being initiated to solicit feedback on the design concept for each project. The public consultation will include:
- a letter to property owners, residents and businesses
- one-on-one meetings with businesses as they are available
- a public meeting April 9 from 4-8 p.m. at the Peterborough Public Library (see notice); and
- on-line information.
Following the public consultation, the concepts will be amended based on comments and suggestions received and a report will be prepared for consideration by Council.
Learn more via the City of Peterborough's website.