Since October 2016, Parks Canada has been working on repairs to the west wall at Healey Falls Lock 17 on the Trent-Severn Waterway National Historic Site. The work has been progressing well and contractors are on track to complete repairs prior to navigation season in May 2017.
The contractor has recently poured the second level of the west wall on Lock 17, completing approximately 65 percent of the wall reconstruction. Next week, they will begin backfilling behind the west wall to reinstate the bank between the lock wall and Canal Road.
In order to keep up this pace of work while maintaining public safety, Canal Road will remain closed through to April. This will allow contractors to operate machinery and equipment freely to complete backfill, erosion protection and site restoration next to the lock.
Healey Falls Locks were built in 1910—66 years after the original construction of the Healey Falls timber dam. The flight of two locks were erected as part of the lower Trent River development created to accommodate power generation expansion. In 1913, a new concrete dam was commissioned and elements of the old dam were removed in 1915.