City Of Peterborough Media Release today...
Preparation for Severe Weather
Latest forecasts indicate that Southern Ontario is in the path of Hurricane Sandy and will likely experience high wind gusts and periods of heavy rain beginning later today and continuing into Tuesday.
To prepare for the potential severe weather, the City is asking residents, who are safely able to do so, to:
• Clean eaves troughs and ensure downspouts are directed away from your foundation
• Check that backflow preventers and sump pumps are functioning properly
• Remove leaves and other debris from storm sewer covers
• Limit non-essential water use to help reduce flow volume through the Waste Water Treatment Plant
• Prepare a 72 hour emergency preparedness kit for family and pets. For details visit www.peterborough.ca/emergencymanagement and click on “Personal Preparedness”
• Ensure batteries are charged for essential equipment (i.e. medical equipment)
• Store or safely secure outdoor objects, such as lawn furniture and barbecues
• Fill vehicles with gas
• Have cash on hand
With intense rain and high winds expected, residents are urged to stay safely back from creek and riverbanks and to be aware of potential blowing debris and branches from trees.